05 March 2009

Leading Quietly


A lively mind


People often assume that because I have a lively mind and the ability to communicate in a lively, informed manner, that I seek out social activities purely for the sake of socializing. However, there is nothing so irritating for me than spending time in the company of people who have no understanding or appreciation of my need for time alone, in peace and quiet.


Maintaining a lively mind requires that I allocate enough time each day for my basic needs, including my need to reflect on all that life has already been, and all that it may be in the future. I enjoy time alone for reflection. It forms the basis of my productivity, and helps to maintain my inner peace.


Alleviating the needs of others


If I am unable for any reason to maintain a lively mind, then I become no more than a drudge, a servile being, a specimen of mediocrity, especially if I serve others without looking after my own needs. It is why having personal space, and clear boundaries in social life, is very important to me.

The main way that I alleviate the needs of others is through my writings, encouraging other minds to be lively, and helping to develop within them a love of learning and understanding.


Searching for talent


One of my daily activities is the quest for talented writers and talented editors. I am searching for people who write in a succinct and lively style for the universal benefit of current and future generations. The role of such writers is to identify and clarify gems of truth. The role of a good editor is to polish the gems.

The role of a publisher, whether of books or blogs, is to display the gems for others to see and hope that members of the public will reward them in some way.  The writer and the editor may also expect be rewarded, too.  If you publish anything, whether as a publisher, a writer or an editor, what are the rewards you currently gain, and the rewards you still seek?

All that I personally require as a reward is just enough to alleviate my own needs, to help maintain my lively mind. My needs and way of life are usually quite simple.


Enlivening other minds


This is my main aim.  I hope to open up minds and find out why people think as they do. Opening minds can free them of misconceptions, identify barriers to understanding, and help people to manage and communicate with greater clarity and consideration.

One of the main misconceptions in many organisations is about managers. Everyone is a manager, at home, in relationships, at work. We manage needs, roles and resources, whatever we might be doing.

Another misconception is about executives. The role of an executive is to carry out policies yet many people who have job titles such as manager or executive tend to think that they should be a policy maker. An executive is merely a senior administrator whose role is to ensure that policies are implemented.  True leadership is about acknowledging everyone's needs when developing policy proposals.


Entrepreneurship


What appears to be lacking in most organisations, and in the minds of most people, is a sensible yet entrepreneurial outlook. An good entrepreneur has the creative insights, and sometimes even the resources, not only to carry an socially worthy idea to fruition, but also to meet many needs along the way.

A good entrepreneur helps to form considerate policies within organisations, and perhaps in a much wider social sphere, too. Such a person helps to form good policies by understanding the various needs of others, in both the short and long term. These are social entrepreneurs, the true leaders in democratic societies, even though they often act quietly.


Are you a social entrepreneur?


Do you have creative insights and the resources to carry an idea to fruition? Can you meet your own needs and those of others along the way? If so, perhaps you are a social entrepreneur, especially if you achieve your goals without causing harm to yourself, other people, and the wider world. Do you know how to lead quietly?

No comments:

Post a Comment