23 May 2009

Quietly Reading

.
One of the great pleasures in my life is sitting quietly with book of my own choosing, without any interruptions, and without feeling that I should be doing something else.

In a busy life, reading can sometime give rise to feelings of guilt. When I worked in the media, part of my job was to read through the newspapers for particular snippets of information. If someone came into the office while I was doing so, did they think I was being lazy or that I did not have enough to do?


Hard work

One of the things I have discovered is that people often mistake an active body for hard work. The effort to read, reflect and think is perceived as leisurely, especially by those with little to show for their years of schooling. I know of many people who are physically active for much of the time yet produce very little of lasting value to humanity.

I'm about to have a couple of weeks away from blogging so that I can spend some time reading, writing up my research, expressing other aspects of my creativity, and perhaps rest my mind for a while by doing something active and less "productive". Walking on the beach comes to mind...

.

No comments:

Post a Comment